skip navigation


By San Antonio FC Communications, 05/31/17, 10:15PM CDT


Club Returns to Toyota Field to Face Swope Park Rangers on Saturday

San Antonio FC fell to Tulsa Roughnecks FC after a penalty kick shootout in the third round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, ending the Alamo City club’s run in the 2017 edition of the tournament.

“It was a very tight game,” SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell said. “We felt we had chances in both halves that we could have taken advantage of. We defended solidly again and it went down to the wire, and it ended in eight rounds of penalties.”

The match went into extra time after neither team could find the back of the net in the 90 minutes of regulation despite quality chances in the attack by both clubs. The game moved into a penalty shootout after both clubs remained scoreless through 120 minutes. Through eight rounds of penalties, SAFC fell to Tulsa 7-6, ending the club’s Open Cup hunt.

The Alamo City club previously earned a second-round win against the Houston Dutch Lions to advance to the third round of the tournament. Last season, SAFC exited the Open Cup after falling to the Houston Dynamo (MLS) in the fourth round.

SAFC goalkeeper Diego Restrepo has now extended his scoreless streak to six matches (585 minutes) in all competitions.

San Antonio FC remains undefeated in USL play and will return to action on Saturday, June 3 at Toyota Field as it hosts Swope Park Rangers in their second consecutive matchup. SAFC previously earned a 1-0 win at SPR last Friday, marking the Silver and Black’s first win over the Rangers.

Penalty Kick Summary (Tulsa Roughnecks win 7-6):

Roughnecks FC: Joey Calistri - Scored

SAFC: Rafa Castillo - Scored

Roughnecks FC: Juan Pablo Caffa - Scored

SAFC: Victor Araujo - Scored

Roughnecks FC: Pavel Kondrakhin - Missed

SAFC: Devin Vega - Scored

Roughnecks FC: Ian Svantesson - Scored

SAFC: Mark O’Ojong - Saved

Roughnecks FC: Fabian Cerda - Scored

SAFC: Aly Alberto Hassan – Scored

Roughnecks FC: Modou Jadama - Scored

SAFC: AJ Ajeakwa – Scored

Roughnecks FC: Collin Fernandez - Scored

SAFC: Ben Newnam – Scored

Roughnecks FC: Francisco Ugarte - Scored

SAFC: Diego Restrepo - Saved

Disciplinary Summary:

SAFC: Yellow Card (Shawn Chin 32’)

Roughnecks FC: Yellow Card (Bradley Bourgeois 46’)

Roughnecks FC: Yellow Card (Collin Fernandez 81’)

SAFC: Yellow Card (Ben Newnam 93’)

SAFC: Yellow Card (Devin Vega 120’)

SAFC Starting XI: GK: Diego Restrepo; D: Ben Newnam, Sebastien Ibeagha, Cyprian Hedrick, Greg Cochrane; M: Mark O’Ojong, Rafa Castillo (c), Maxi Rodriguez (Devin Vega 54’), Shawn Chin (Victor Araujo 82’), Billy Forbes (AJ Ajeakwa 68’); F: Aly Alberto Hassan

Substitutions Not Used: Lee Johnston, Ryan Roushandel, Juan Nino

Postgame Notes:

  • San Antonio FC was eliminated from the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup 7-6 in penalty kicks…both sides remained scoreless after 90 minutes of regular time and 30 minutes of extra time…SAFC failed to advance past the third round for the first time after the club made it to the fourth round of the tournament in 2016
  • The game marked the first ever match for San Antonio FC that has gone into both extra time and penalty kicks…despite losing, SAFC scored six of their eight penalty kicks
  • SAFC forwards Aly Alberto Hassan and Victor Araujo end the 2017 Open Cup campign with a goal apiece, leading the way for San Antonio…last season Jacques Francois led the club in three goals in three Open Cup matches
  • SAFC goalkeeper Diego Restrepo held the Roughnecks scoreless for 120 minutes, extending his personal scoreless streak to six matches (585 minutes) in all competitions
  • The match marks the first-ever loss for SAFC to the Roughnecks in all competitions…San Antonio went 3-0-0 against Tulsa last season, and tied them in preseason play prior to the start of the 2017 campaign